Quantitative analyst Chris Prybal of Schaeffer’s Investment Research eyes four stocks with contrarian potential.
Here's an updated list of equities that notched an all-time high Monday against a sturdy backdrop of skepticism. Based on sentiment backdrops, the environment is ripe for continued upside in AutoNation, Inc. (AN), Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL), Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT), and Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (WSM).
For starters, lofty levels of short interest on outperforming stocks allow the possibility for a short-covering rally. Meanwhile, such high levels of pessimism from the brokerage bunch leaves the door wide open for a round of upgrades and/or price-target hikes. Additionally, heavy accumulations of near-term put open interest could give these equities a lift, as the bearish bets unwind.
Auto retailer AutoNation, Inc. (NYSE:AN)
- The stock is up 30% year-to-date.
- Nearly 20% of its float is sold short.
- 92% of all analysts following AN maintain a "hold" or "sell" recommendation.
- Over the past 50 trading days, more than three times as many puts were bought to open as calls.
Consumer products maker Colgate-Palmolive Company (NYSE:CL)
- The equity is up 17.5% year-to-date.
- Short Interest is up 23% over the past month.
- 68% of analysts covering CL rate it a "hold" or "sell."
- The equity is trading on par with its 12-month price target.
- There are more puts than calls among options expiring in the next three months, with a bias towards puts over past 10 days.
NEXT PAGE: A Mega Retailer and Gourmet Purveyor.