The Fed’s future path still seems more bullish than the European Central Bank. If so, the yiel...
Barclays Lists Top 10 Macroeconomic Trades for 2015
12/17/2014 9:00 am EST
Adam Button of ForexLive.com shares a list from Barclays outlining the top ten macroeconomic themes to watch for, including recommendations for the top forex currency pairs to play in 2015.
Barclays is out with a note highlighting 10 macroeconomic themes it believes will drive trading in 2015. It’s pretty much a recap of every other consensus call.
- Theme 1: The Fed will lift off in 2015—(UST) curve flatteners and short gold.
- Theme 2: Policy divergence = Persistent US dollar strength—short EUR/USD; long US small-caps (Russell 2000) versus large-caps (S&P 500) and short S&P 500 versus nonUS DM equities.
- Theme 3: Lower oil prices: the negative implications are priced in, the positive ones less so—long consumer discretionary stocks and Korean stocks.
- Theme 4: The Bank of Japan’s surprise—long Japanese equities (large-caps), currency hedged, and 10y inflation swaps.
- Theme 5: Europe is priced for the Japan scenario, but the ECB can change that—long peripheral equities versus bonds (volatility adjusted); Receive EUR 5/10/30s butterfly; short EUR FX.
- Theme 6: Broad negativity on global growth/China could be a good opportunity in 2015—long EM equities that benefit from US growth, low oil prices, and China easing (Korea, China, and India); long global cyclical versus defensives stocks.
- Theme 7: Four headwinds for EM in 2015, but a few opportunities as well—long Indonesia, India, and Mexico local bonds and long USD versus CZK, HUF, and PLN.
- Theme 8: A good environment for EUR-funded FX carry—short EUR/IDR, short EUR/INR, and short EUR/BRL.
- Theme 9: Long India assets: the big story in EM—long equities, bonds, and INR (versus EUR).
- Theme 10: What are the big consensus risks for 2015?—long short-dated US rates vol; long basket of INR, BRL, and TRY versus USD; long European equities versus US equities; long EM equities versus US equities; pay 10y JPY via option.
By Adam Button, Editor, ForexLive.com
Related Articles on FOREX
Trade idea: No guarantees here of course, but maybe it’s a small caution flag for dollar bulls...
As of August 2015, renminbi (RMB) in payments globally accounted for 2.8 percent of the total, the f...
Our favorite horse to ride here for a “correction” lower would be the euro. And we would...