Interest rates. Real estate. Financial stocks. High-yielding dividend-payers. Those are some of the ...
5 ETFs That Have Bucked the Downtrend (And October's Worst 5 ETFs)
10/17/2014 7:00 am EST
Moby Waller of BigTrends.com looks at pure sector play optionable ETFs and outlines the biggest ETF gainers for the month of October, so far, as well as the worst bloodletters.
There are a few different recent key pivot points for the broad market—the intraday high on September 18 being the most obvious one—but we'll look at October's month-to-date (MTD) data for this quick screen. Looking at pure sector play optionable ETFs (without overlap) that trade over 100k average daily volume (no Inverse or Ultra, etc).
- Option Volatility—iPath VIX Futures ETF (VXX) = +41.36% MTD
- Treasury Bonds—iShares Treasury Bond (TLT) = +8.62% MTD
- Agriculture—PowerShares Agriculture ETF (DBA) = +3.18% MTD
- REITs—iShares Cohen & Steers REIT (ICF) = +2.19% MTD
- Preferred Stock—PowerShres Preferred ETF (PGX) = +1.05% MTD
And now the worst bloodletters:
- Greece—Global X Greece 20 ETF (GREK) = -24.56% MTD
- Solar—Guggenheim Solar ETF (TAN) = -22.04% MTD
- Oil & Gas Equipment—SPDR Oil & Gas Equipment & Services (XES) = -20.86% MTD
- Metals & Mining—SPDR Metals and Mining ETF (XME) = -19.88% MTD
- Uranium—Global X Uranium ETF (URA) = -19.06% MTD
No big surprise to see Option Implied Volatility at the top of the list. Also other 'flight to safety' yield areas like Treasury Bonds, Preferred Stock, REITs. But notable that Gold (GLD) and other related metals aren't on the list of the biggest October gainers.
On the downside list, several Energy-related plays, even those that seemingly shouldn't be directly correlated to the big Crude Oil (USO) selloff, such as Solar and Uranium.
Moby Waller, Co-Portfolio Manager, ETF Tradr Program & Rapid Options Income, BigTrends.com
Related Articles on ETFS
Trade idea: As long as FXI trades below $49.85, then new short trade ideas can be initiated between ...
The probability of an equity market correction over the next few months is slim to none, so there co...
Trade idea: As long as LQD trades below $122.60, then new short trade ideas can be initiated between...