The biggest issue for the USD is that it’s the weekend and there is a lack of news leaving the...
Focus on the Euro Today After USD Sinks Monday
01/16/2018 11:06 am EST
What happens today matters with lows for the USD set notably in the euro and Japanese yen. Risk-on for equities means the focus will be on the EUR and how big the pull-back today can be – 1.2185 looks key with risk for 1.2110, writes Bob Savage, CEO of Track Research.
There are plenty of fundamental stories behind the flip-flop in mood and yet the trend isn’t so easy to break given the new yet ahead from China and on the U.S. political battle over budgets.
The equity risk-on mood, particularly in Japan, may be a counter to all of this political noise along with the global modest inflation data supports the easy money games for central bankers. The feedback of forex moves into inflation is the UK input PPI highlight today, along with the EUR effect on stocks, particularly in Germany.
- Spiegel reports that Berlin SPD rejects coalition talks with Merkel bloc.
- Reuters report sees ECB unlikely to drop the QE pledge next week.
- Spanish PM Rajoy warns Catalonia it will retain rule if Puigdemont is re-elected and tries to govern by Skype.
- The UK Construction Group’s Carillon collapse is seen as a political failure as well as a business one given its one of the biggest contractors with the government with 19,000 jobs at risk.
- China data may mask economic rebound – FT highlights the Inner Mongolia data falsification problem and mean reversion risks.
- The odds of a U.S. government shutdown continued to rise over the weekend – 30% chance from 15% last week according to Predictit.org.
What clearly happened yesterday was an extension of USD selling without any U.S. news of note.
What happens today matters in that context with lows for the USD set notably in the EUR and JPY. Risk-on for equities means the focus will be on the EUR and how big the pull-back today can be – 1.2185 looks key with risk for 1.2110.
Related Articles on CURRENCIES
Watching British pound (GBP) to see if this is the game changer for U.S. dollar (USD) overall &ndash...
Nothing matters as much as whether the USD is going to remain bid and with month-end rate squeezes, ...
The tit-for-tat trade war continues with China and the U.S. spilling over into the rest of the world...