Today the market has been up and sideways basically, perhaps a little more defensive this afternoon,...
Hormel: A Dividend King
04/13/2017 2:50 am EST
Hormel (HRL), an international manufacturer and distributor of branded food products, is a Dividend King with 51 years of consecutive dividend increases, asserts income expert Ben Reynolds, editor of Sure Dividend.
Hormel’s competitive advantage comes from its strong brand portfolio in a slow-changing industry.
The company has increased its earnings-per-share in 28 of the last 31 years (achieved by only 4 companies in the S&P 500), and increased dividends for 51 consecutive years in a row.
Hormel also benefits from its larger size, and regularly acquires smaller brands and scales their businesses.
Hormel is a recession-resistant business. The company’s products remain in demand regardless of the state of the overall economy.
Hormel has a mix of higher priced brands (Muscle Milk, Wholly Guacamole) and bargain-priced brands (Spam, Dinty Moore).
The company saw earnings-per-share grow 21% in 2009 during the worst of the Great Recession. Earnings-per-share should continue compounding at 10%+ over full economic cycles. Combined with the 2% dividend yield we see expected total returns of 12% or more.
Hormel has one of the lowest stock price volatiles of any stock, giving it a unique mix of double-digit growth and safety.
Hormel lowered earnings-per-share growth guidance for fiscal 2017 due to low turkey prices; temporary weakness in this segment does not materially affect Hormel’s long-term investment prospects.
Hormel is an extremely high-quality business. The stock is trading near its fair value, but should still produce outsized returns moving forward.
Related Articles on STOCKS
Markets have gone up on government shutdowns and markets have gone down on government shutdowns. In ...
Twitter (TWTR) is one of those companies that often poses a conundrum to investors. On one hand, the...
Many investors are beginning to focus their funds on companies that follow sustainable business prac...