Hillsdale College

Hillsdale College, founded by Freewill Baptists as Michigan Central College in Spring Arbor, Michigan, began classes in December of 1844. The college later moved to Hillsdale, Michigan in 1853 and assumed its current name. As stated in the Preamble to its Articles of Incorporation, the College undertakes its work "to God for the inestimable blessings resulting from the prevalence of civil and religious liberty and intelligent piety in the land, and believing that the diffusion of sound learning is essential to the perpetuity of these blessings