Often referred to as “Mr. Retirement,” Robert Powell is a long-time financial journalist and retirement expert. For more than three decades, the editor of TheStreet.com's Retirement Daily has become the trusted source for retirement information and advice.

The following are new investments that those saving for or living in retirement might consider for their portfolios, including some new actively managed ETFs.

Gadsden recently introduced two new actively managed exchange-traded funds, both sub-advised by Vident Investment Advisory, LLC, that follow similar approaches, but invest in different asset classes.

Gadsden Dynamic Growth ETF (GDG) invests in global equity securities, whereas Gadsden Dynamic Multi-Asset ETF (GDMA) has wide latitude to invest across the globe in equities, fixed income, currencies, real assets, and commodities.

Both funds expect to allocate approximately 80% of their assets strategically (based on views greater than three years), while the remaining 20% is held for tactical positioning (less than three years). Both funds may hold individual securities or ETFs in meeting their objectives.

According to Lou Conrad, president of COMPASS Wealth Management, investors may want to wait for a track record to develop for both funds, as well as consider trading volumes of these funds before investing their capital.

Further, Conrad believes the prospectus of these funds allows the sub-advisor to pursue a wide range of strategies in meeting the funds' objectives with little stated about the process it uses to determine what investments it will make and in what form it will make them.

BlackRock's iShares has added another step to its municipal iBond ladder strategy with the addition of iShares iBonds Dec 2025 Term Muni Bond ETF (IBMN).

Conrad says IBMN extends the iShares muni bond ladder lineup with maturities that begin in 2017 and now continue through 2025 with this latest introduction.

Conrad also said that retirement investors, especially those who are in a higher income tax bracket, may want to consider these low-cost funds should they seek a stream of income from an ETF that will terminate at their stated month and year. Further, the product has an attractive expense ratio of 0.18%.

A new ETF has been introduced to provide exposure to e-commerce companies. Global X E-commerce ETF (EBIZ) from Global X Funds seeks to track the Solactive E-commerce Index, an index that dates back to only Oct. 31, 2018, according to Conrad.

Consequently, this fund, as well as its underlying index, have a very limited track record. In addition, the fund's investments, limited to e-commerce platforms, software, and related companies, are likely to subject investors to relatively high levels of volatility.

Conrad cautioned retirement investors to consider whether such an ETF should play a role in their portfolio given the fund's high degree of concentration and its 0.68% annual expense ratio.

Subscribe to TheStreet's Retirement Daily here…