Welcome to MoneyShow's Top Picks 2022 report. Every January for 38 years, our editorial team has surveyed the nation's leading newsletter advisors and investment experts asking for their favorite investments for the year ahead. This year's report includes 118 ideas for the new year.
The newsletter advisors and financial industry analysts who participate in these annual reports are among the nation's most respected and knowledgeable investment experts. Each has a time-tested reputation for in-depth research, integrity, and a track record of long-term investment success. Most of these advisors have been participating in these reports for years; in fact, many have participated for decades!
We are always happy when an advisor's ideas lead to outsized gains for our readers. Special recognition goes out to Jim Woods, Tom Bishop and Bruce Kaser—whose 2021 picks each rose over 200%. Updates to their picks and other top performers appear through out our new report.
Nevertheless—as we emphasize to advisors when they are invited to participate in this project—this is not a contest; rather it should be viewed as a diversified shopping list of ideas for investors as we enter the new year.
Most importantly, these top picks are a snapshot in time—and a stock that is a “strong buy" today can become a “sell" based on changing fundamental or technical developments. Indeed, as we saw in 2021, economic developments and the global impact of the pandemic significantly changed advisor views on certain stock and fund holdings during the course of the year.
As such, we also encourage our readers to consider buying subscriptions to newsletters if you are following an advisor's suggestion. That way you will be kept apprised of their changing views on any given recommendation. You can also keep up to date on the changing opinions and recommendations of the leading newsletter advisors by signing up for our free daily newsletter, Top Pros' Top Picks.
Looking at this year's report, we have many exciting ideas for you to consider—ranging from fast-growing stocks with high-risk, high-reward potential to conservative dividend-payers chosen for safe and steady returns.
- Healthcare has always been a favorite sector of the advisors in these report—but this year, we see a noted shift to niche-oriented plays such as genetics and biotechnology.
- Resources have always been popular; this year, in addition to gold and silver ideas, we see numerous mining picks beyond precious metals.
- Energy remains popular this year, but we note that the advisors did not choose large cap, global energy firms. Instead, this year's picks focused more on energy infrastructure and renewables.
- In past years, large banks have been in vogue; this year, the focus has trended more towards fintech and financial services. For those seeking income, REITs are very popular in this year's report.
- Specialized technology plays are widely featured as 2022 favorites; interestingly, most of this year's tech plays are companies that help make other industries more efficient.
- For the first time in memory, transportation is a favorite sector for the coming year. Leading in popularity is electric vehicle ideas—ranging from auto production to ancillary resource and technology plays on the EV space.
We would stress that any stock you buy should match your own investment strategy and time horizon—and fit your personal risk-tolerance level. The recommendations are a starting place for your own research. Overall, our goal is to provide you with a well-rounded and diverse shopping list of investment ideas for you to consider as you build your personal long-term portfolios.
Thank you for being a part of the MoneyShow family. We hope you enjoy our annual Top Picks report and wish you the very best for investment success in 2022.