The chart of the day belongs to the animal pharmaceutical company Elanco Animal Health (ELAN), states Jim Van Meerten of BarChart.com.
I found the stock by using Barchart's powerful screening functions to find stocks with the highest technical buy signals, highest Weighted Alpha, superior current momentum, and a Trend Seeker buy signal. I then used the Flipchart feature to review the charts for consistent price appreciation. Since the Trend Seeker signaled a buy on 11/ 8 the stock gained 42.21%.
ELAN Price vs Daily Moving Averages
Elanco Animal Health Incorporated, an animal health company, innovates, develops, manufactures, and markets products for pets and farm animals. It offers pet health disease prevention products, such as parasiticide and vaccine products that protect pets from worms, fleas, and ticks under the Seresto, Advantage, Advantix, and Advocate brands; pet health therapeutics for pain, osteoarthritis, ear infections, cardiovascular, and dermatology indications in canines and felines under the Galliprant and Claro brands; vaccines, antibiotics, parasiticides, and other products for use in poultry and aquaculture production, as well as nutritional health products, including enzymes, probiotics, and prebiotics; and a range of vaccines, antibiotics, implants, parasiticides, and other products used in ruminant and swine production under the Rumensin and Baytril brands. The company sells its products to third-party distributors; veterinarians; and farm animal producers, including beef and dairy farmers, as well as pork, poultry, and aquaculture operations. The company was founded in 1954 and is headquartered in Greenfield, Indiana.
Barchart's Opinion Trading systems are listed below. Please note that the Barchart Opinion indicators are updated live during the session every 20 minutes and can therefore change during the day as the market fluctuates. The indicator numbers shown below therefore may not match what you see live on the Barchart.com website when you read this report.
Barchart Technical Indicators:
- 100% technical buy signals
- 41.20+ Weighted Alpha
- 21.15% gain in the last year
- Trend Seeker buy signal
- Above its 20, 50, and 100-day moving averages
- 13 new highs and up 20.59% in the last month
- Relative Strength Index 73.67%
- Technical support level at $15.29
- Recently traded at $15.41 with a 50-day moving average of $12.43
- Market Cap $7.66 billion
- P/E 15.45%
- Wall Street projects Revenue will be down .80% this year but up again by 2.30% next year
- Their Earnings projections are all negative—down 18.00% this year, down an additional 2.20% next year, and they will continue to decrease by an annual rate of 6.58% for the next five years
Analysts and Investor Sentiment: I don't buy stocks because everyone else is buying but I do realize that if major firms and investors are dumping a stock it's hard to make money swimming against the tide:
- Wall Street analysts issued five strong buy, two buy, five hold, and one underperform recommendations on the stock
- Analysts' price targets are $10 to $20 with a consensus of $15 right at today's price—hard to understand so many buy recommendations on a stock projected to go nowhere.
- Value Line gives the stock its average rating of three with an 18-month price target of $12 - 25% below today's price
- CFRAs MarketScope has a buy recommendation
- 48,750 investors monitor the stock on Seeking Alpha
Additional disclosure: The Barchart Chart of the Day highlights stocks that are experiencing exceptional current price appreciation. They are not intended to be buy recommendations as these stocks are extremely volatile and speculative. Should you decide to add one of these stocks to your investment portfolio it is highly suggested you follow a predetermined diversification and moving stop loss discipline that is consistent with your personal investment risk tolerance and reevaluate your stop losses at least weekly.
On the date of publication, Jim Van Meerten did not have (either directly or indirectly) positions in any of the securities mentioned in this article. All information and data in this article is solely for informational purposes. For more information please view the Barchart Disclosure Policy here.