L3Harris (LHX) was created at the end of 2019’s second quarter through the merger of Harris Co...
S&P 500 Threatening to Extend Higher
01/23/2020 9:20 am EST
Elliott Wave analysis suggests S&P 500 has room to the upside, reports Ricky Wen.
Tuesday’s session played out as a doji consolidation day that acted as a high-level consolidation. Overnight saw higher-lows and higher-highs structure into the top end of the pre-determined January range of 3337-3155 on the E-mini S&P 500 (ES). This means that the upside range is once again being threatened to open and extend higher as we approach the month-end closing print, as the downside/mean reversion setup has failed for now.
If you recall, on Jan. 8 we held the 20-day exponential moving average backtest region across all the equity indices and produced an imminent V-shaped recovery in the next couple sessions, followed by the continuation setup into this week’s likely higher-lows and higher-highs grind into new targets. Obviously, it’s been the same old structure since the October 2019 breakout acceleration as the bull train maintains course. The bull train structure will be trying its hardest to maintain the same structure into the January monthly closing print in order to produce a decent prerequisite for the January barometer stats.
Tuesday closed at 3320.50 on the ES and it looks like today or the rest of the week is dealt with the task of closing above/below 3337 to determine the next key setup as we head into month end. We remain in wait-and-see mode in figuring whether we need to re-calculate the predetermined overall range of January 3337-3155 or not. Again, this top end of the range area supposes cautionary signs and we’re starting to get our proprietary extreme signals across the board warning us.
Here's a portion of our premarket ES game plan report:
- Traders can utilize 3319 and 3307 as short-term trending supports for the rest of the week alongside with above/below 3337 as key momentum indicator. No current immediate targets.
- With the price action unable to follow through for the downside quick mean reversion setup into the trending eight- and 20-day exponential moving averages properly, it’s time to look the other way for continuation
- Bulls need a close above 3337 in order to enhance up of opening the January upside range into the next calculated levels by continuing the grind into month end closing print
- Mythical creatures (bears) would need to breakdown vs. 3319/3307 key short-term levels to have a fighting chance into daily eight- and 20-day exponential moving averages that eventually acts as another buying opportunity. Otherwise, it’s another round of high level consolidation due to the structure of HLs+HHs
- As we may discussed previously, the easy part of this month is pretty much considered over 3181->3337 given the pre-determined range via our calculations. This means that traders ought to stay cautiously optimistic here while hedging themselves properly in a portfolio approach.
Ricky Wen is an analyst at ElliottWaveTrader.net, where he hosts the ES Trade Alerts premium subscription service.
Related Articles on STOCKS
Founded in 1916, Farmers & Merchants Bancorp (FMCB) is a locally owned and operated community ba...
The future of business is data analytics and artificially intelligent software, regardless of whethe...
Short position in QQQ would profit from continued weakness in Apple, reports Jay Soloff....