I always find it fascinating to see what kind of big trades are being made in the options markets. S...
When Is the Best Time to Sell Option Premium?
05/25/2010 12:01 am EST
Looking for a leg up on your premium-selling strategies? Then the table below may interest you.
Typically, it is best to implement a premium-selling strategy when the stock is range bound, trading between key support and resistance levels, implied volatility on the stock's options is elevated, and when the company is not scheduled to make waves with a pesky earnings report.
Along those lines, Schaeffer's senior quantitative analyst Alan "Rocky" White ran an internal stock filter to seek out such opportunities. Note: Support and resistance levels, in this case, are determined by peak call and put OI strikes for the June series of options. Below are the filter criteria and the results:
- Stock price is above peak put open interest (OI) and below peak call OI
- Peak put OI and call OI is at least 1,000 contracts
- Peak put OI and peak call OI combine to account for at least 30% of the stock's average daily trading volume
- The stock's Schaeffer's Volatility Index (SVI) is greater than its 21-day historical volatility
- Next company's next earnings report is scheduled after front-month options expire
By Joseph Hargett, contributor, Schaeffer’s Trading Floor Blog
Related Articles on OPTIONS
This rebroadcast of OICs webinar program focuses on what may cause an investor to lose control of th...
Second-quarter earnings season is kicking off, but Altaba Inc. (AABA) -- the entity formerly known a...
Lowell Enlow was a contractor for NASA and operated several insurance agencies in Florida. Nick Morr...